Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Job Hunt Has Begun Again

"Sixty five year old man, over educated, physically recovering from an illness and willing to do just about any job seeks a part time position to supplement his social security and meager pension."

HMMM!! This guy is ferkered, lol.
Sixty five years of educating myself and a good work history means little in today's job market. The unemployment rate where I live is around 10% and most of the available work requires a strong back not brain. A glance at my back reminds me that it has seen better days.

Add to that a past criminal record, even a very old one, and getting an interview is a doubtful exercise.

I am not a greedy man. All I want is to add about $100/week to my income. Just to make things a little more comfortable.

When I am filling out applications I can see it in their eyes; 'he is so old' or 'we need a younger man'. Of course they can not tell me that so I hear things like, "you are over qualified". I wonder how many 'over qualified' people inhabit the skid rows of our country?

Since 2008 I have filled out over 100 applications, both in person and online, and in that time I managed to get one interview with McDonald's. A job I held until until I got sick and now they are not hiring locally.

Admittedly am limited by what I can do and I certainly am not making a living writing but there must be someone who needs a creative brain besides Dr. Frankenstein.

So for now my days are filled with my job quest. It is a long depressing process that I need to complete and will with Gods help.

I have been wealthy during my lifetime and was not happy. Strange as it may seem; I am happier struggling for every scarp I get then I was when I was well off. You learn to appreciate the little things and the need to have lots of possessions becomes meaningless.

So I will repeat; "Sixty five year old man, over educated, physically recovering from an illness and willing to do just about any job seeks a part time position to supplement his social security and meager pension."

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment