Thursday, April 10, 2014

Intolerance Will Not Be Tolerated

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause", Mahatma Gandhi.

Intolerance is a human fault that has cost so many people their freedom and even their lives. Seeing intolerance in the LGBT community is very troubling to me. Anyone who has suffered at the hands of prejudice and intolerance should never exhibit those characteristics toward anyone else.

There will always be someone who is intolerant toward race, religion, nationality or sexual orientation. I believe that it’s an innate human characteristic. Acceptance of everyone is rare and we all demonstrate intolerance toward someone at some point in our lives.



I have an admitted intolerance for people who do stupid things. That intolerance extends to myself as I have done some very stupid things in my life. I know that this is one of my many character flaws.

Being homophobic is wrong on any level. But so is being intolerant of homophobes. I detest the idiocy of homophobia but they have the right to believe the way they do. Just as I have the right to support sexual orientation equality.

The fact that a person decides to donate to an anti gay organization does not give us leave to seek that persons dismissal from his job. In cases like these intolerance quickly turns into bullying. Bullying is never OK no matter what the cause.

Champions of sexual orientation rights are reaching their goals albeit slowly. Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. Time and persistence will bring the equality the LGBT community seeks. Intolerance will only leave a bitter taste in the mouths of those who oppose it.

Be the better people and present your case on its merits. Leave intolerance and prejudice for your opposition by the wayside.

Your cause is just. That should be enough.

"I have seen great intolerance shown in support of tolerance", Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment