Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Good Ship Lollipop Sails On

I woke this morning to snow and the loss of Shirley Temple. When I was a child Shirley's movies gave me such joy. She was a national treasure. Her movies allowed people to forget about there troubles during the depression giving joy to suffering millions for that short time they sat in the movie theater.

"When the spirit of the people is lower than at any other time during this Depression, it is a splendid thing that for just 15 cents, an American can go to a movie and look at the smiling face of a baby and forget his troubles," President Franklin D. Roosevelt.


I do not think that I had a favorite Shirley movie. I loved them all and watched them over and over. To this day I continue to watch them.

But what is so impressive about her is what she did with her life after the cameras stopped rolling. She ran unsuccessfully for congress in 1967. In 1969 President Nixon appointed her as a member of the U.S. delegation to the United Nations General Assembly. In the 1970s she was U.S. ambassador to Ghana and later U.S. chief of protocol.

She then served as ambassador to Czechoslovakia during the administration of the first President Bush. A few months after she arrived in Prague, in mid-1989, communist rule was overthrown in Czechoslovakia as the Iron Curtain collapsed across Eastern Europe.

She always said that her greatest role was being a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. She was married for 50 years raising three children.

She proved that a child actor can succeed in life when they have loving parents who take an interest in them beyond acting.

I feel like a little bit of my childhood was stripped away today but when I think back to the joy she brought into my childhood I smile.

"As long as our country has Shirley Temple, we will be all right", President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

She will always live in our hearts so we will always have her.

I have been whistling the tune to 'It's A Good Ship Lollipop all morning. I know a certain Second Life singer that will get that request from me later today.

God bless you Curly Top.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment