Friday, July 22, 2011

Me~A Publicist~A Beaver Shot? Oh My!!

I hate breakfast meetings because I love breakfast and holding a meeting during this meal does not afford me the opportunity to devour pancakes at a rate that a woman of my age should ever attempt. With that in mind, and under protest, I headed out bright and early today to have breakfast with a Publicist that my editor wanted me to meet.

For those of you who are not familiar with the critter know as The Publicist; 'A publicist is a person whose job is to generate and manage publicity for a public figure, especially a celebrity, a business, or for a work such as a book, film or album. '

HMMM! I am not a celebrity or a public figure! But my editor feels that I do need someone to manage my public appearances; such as book readings and my occasional speaking engagement. In my mind, my assistant is doing a fantastic job so I felt that this was redundant.

The funny thing about this is what went through my mind after being contacted about the meeting and actually going to it. My experience with publicists was limited to those I had read about when their clients got into some trouble and of course rumors that spread among people who really do not have all the information.

I thought back to all those photos taken of celebrities giving a Beaver Shot, which we all know were staged and done for maximum publicity effect, and thought; Oh No Not Me!!.  It is not that I think my personal beaver is not picture perfect; It Is!. But I certainly do not need that type of publicity.




Y'all know how my mind works and where even the slightest off beat thought might take me. I am the enemy of rational thought at times.

By meetings end I was assured that I would be doing only classy promotions for my books and that I had full control of what I did or did not do. Even better; unless I had questions all contacts would be between my assistant and publicist. So I can just write and let them worry.

So in the end the pancakes went down quite smooth. Isn't life grand!!

Love ya,
Night

PS.....I did get waxed before the meeting,,,Just in case,,lol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment