Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Why Do We Celebrate Others People's Misery?

Why Do We Celebrate Others People's Misery? I have often asked myself this question. It seems that when ever a celebrity or person of note gets into trouble or makes a mistake we can not get enough news about what happened and what misery they are suffering. The latest fodder for our consumption is the destruction of the Schwarzenegger/Shriver marriage. I certainly can not condone Schwarzenegger’s conduct but at the same time I can not support the over blown media coverage that has to be having a polarizing effect on Maria Shriver.

This need to exploit, and exploitation is what this is, someone else's misery is a trait that no one should condone. All done in the name of television ratings and a quick joke from opportunist comedians. These people care little about the damage that this coverage might do to the child involved. RATINGS! RATINGS!  RATINGS!

This obsession does not only manifest itself on the national level. The same obsession appears at the local news level and is just as damaging. A few years ago I was having a dispute with the IRS. The dispute was not that I owned them money, both the IRS and I agreed that I did owe, but rather over how much was owed. There was never a disagreement as to whether payment would be made; because in reality I had already paid their number and was looking for a settlement and return of some of the money to me. But the local media grabbed the story and decided it was news worthy to broadcast it.

The result was a loss of a very good relationship that I was lucky to be in at the time. The news also coincided with the release of my first book and my publisher blamed that publicity for poor sales. Soon after I lost my publisher. It took nearly two years to get signed by another publisher. In the mean time my work went stagnant. I was writing for myself and my family. I was not a happy camper kiddies.


Misery loves company!! An old English proverb that has many meanings. I believe that those who report on other people's misery, even though they are culpable in the damage that can be done, are not the worse offenders to celebrating others misery. The worse offenders are those who seem to have the need to consume the bad things happening to others and celebrate it.

I believe that people, when celebrating other's misery, are doing so because it makes them feel better about there own miserable lives.

Schadenfreude~~is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. The Human Race suffers from this condition.

If you do not want to believe me or others who find this situation  distasteful, believe The Bible.

The Book of Proverbs mentions an emotion similar to that now described by the word schadenfreude: "Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him." (Proverbs 24:17–18, King James Version).

I am sure that similar thought can be found in the other Books Of God; like the Koran or Torah. Please think about how you would feel on the receiving end of this crap. Maybe thinking about, 'What if it was happening to me?', would make you think twice about celebrating misfortune.

By The Way,,The Buddhist concept of mudita, "sympathetic joy" or "happiness in another's good fortune", is cited as an example of the opposite of schadenfreude. Take a look at it. Maybe it will help get your thoughts straight.

Love ya,
Night

No comments:

Post a Comment