Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Day To Remember And Reflect

On November 11, 1918 the fighting for World War I ceased and this is considered the official end of that conflict. It is why November 11 is the day we set aside to honor those who fought and especially those who gave their lives for this country.


We hear a lot these days about constitutes patriotism but on this day patriotism stands before us in old uniforms marching in parades and holding flags.No matter your political affiliation or beliefs about war these men and women deserve our respect and gratitude. Monday is not just another day off of work but rather a day that should be spent in reflection on what veterans have done for us and also a celebration of their accomplishments and the country they helped preserve for us.


Talk to a veteran, especially one who has 'seen the elephant' and survived the experience, and you will get a lesson in history no school could teach.

I have told this story before but it is worth mentioning again. I was in the San Antonio Texas airport with my son who was in uniform. A woman passing by stopped, a stranger,  to thank my son for his service. I realized that day that my son was no longer just my son but one of the many men that become all our sons or daughters when they put on that uniform.  It may have been the proudest day of my life.

The unfortunate thing about life is that there will always be someones son or daughter in uniform and acting on our behalf as protector and defender. Our duty, as those who are being protected and defended, is to stand with them when they need our help.

We owe every veteran our respect and admiration and there is no better way to show it than by thanking them on November 11.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment