Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Playing With My Redbone~~Get Your Mind Out Of The Gutter

Growing up in an apartment in Brooklyn, New York was not conducive to owning pets so my brother and I grew up without them. I knew that I wanted my children to experience having a pet so we have always had dogs and cats around the house. I get great pleasure from my dog living alone as I do now.



I have a one year old Redbone Coonhound that is a great companion and about as entertaining as any animal can get. But I question her brain power. She is not stupid but she is either not the brightest pup around or she is a canine stand up comedian and a good one too.

Let me set the scene. I have a very large backyard and have her on a 50 yard runner so she has lots of room to wander and still stay out of trouble. She has a large house filled with cedar chips in which to get out of the elements and the shade of a fifty foot tall walnut tree to keep her cool. She is fed good food that is supplemented by what ever I eat. She is outside most of the day and sleeps in the house at night.

So all in all she is doing alright. For a dog her life seems to be a good one. I do not hunt her as many do their hounds. So she is like a one year old retired canine with all her good years ahead. Unlike me being a 100 year old human with all my good years in my rear view mirror.

Brandae, that is her name, is out in the yard this morning digging a hole. She is a digger and a new hole arrives everyday. I fill them, my exercise, and she digs them back up. We have a nice symbiotic relationship going with these holes.

This morning it was raining quite hard and there she was, standing in the rain, digging today's attempt to reach China. Yeppers, in the hard rain.

When I called her to come in out of the rain she looked at me like I was nuts and went right back to digging. Actually she is still out there, some 2 hours later, moving mud from place to place.

That's my loving dog.

“It is a good thing to follow the First Law of Holes: if you are in one, stop digging”~~Denis Healey


I wonder if my dog understands that quote? Nah! She is still digging.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment