Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Corporations Are People Too But I Would Not Want To Marry One~~Or Would I?

The Supreme Court of the United States, on a day when I am sure all the justices were high as kites and out hunting Twinkies, have declared that 'corporations are people'. Corporations are people!! Corporations are people!! Corporations are people!!  Corporations are people!!  Corporations are people!!  Corporations are people!! Corporations are people!! Corporations are people!!

I have to keep repeating that as I read the articles and still can not believe that this can possibly be true. How are we to react to this revelation?


           Well that was my first reaction, lol. A very good litmus test for being a person.

"In America, corporations are people and money is speech." This is basically what the courts have ruled. I see so many pitfalls here. How the courts could make a decision like this escapes me.

This decision has led to the formation of 'super pacs'. Entities that can collect money in any amounts and spend that money any way they want in support or against a political candidate. In essence, super pacs can buy elections with the support of the very rich.

Far fetched you say? It is my understanding that the super pac supporting Mitt Romney is mostly funded by 20 some wealthy people. So these people are behind the attacks that are sinking the campaigns of Romney's opponents.

"A funny thing happened to the First Amendment on its way to the public forum. It was hijacked.
According to the Supreme Court, money is now speech, and corporations are now people."

"Yet when real people without money assemble to express their dissatisfaction with the political consequences of this, they're treated as public nuisances -- clubbed, pepper-sprayed, thrown out of public parks and evicted from public spaces."~~Robert B. Reich

While I am not an Occupy supporter in this instance I do have some sympathy for them. It seems ludicrous to place corporations and money on the same level as people. But here we are at that very  place in our history where Microsoft is an equal in the First Amendment with Humans.

 I wonder how far away we are from corporations being granted the right to vote? How sad a day that would be for us all.

On the upside, if corporations are people than they have all the rights of people. So I want to marry one and have it support me in a life of luxury.

I am getting on bended knee for the Merck corporation and asking her to marry me. She may be an old gal but she has a solid foundation and has the shekels to make me a very happy house husband. I wonder how she is in bed?

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment