Saturday, December 3, 2011

Just Because You Fail Does Not Make You Failure!!

I think about failure a lot. My life has been one of epic failures sprinkled with some great and small successes. There are two things that I can say about my 'epic failures'. First, when ever I have had an epic failure it is because I have taken on something that could have been an epic success. Secondly, I never lay down for more than a few minutes after a failure. I am always right back on my feet looking for my next adventure.

I believe that one of my decedents will write books about my failures and become a very rich person doing so. Maybe they can title them 'Remember Great Great Grandfather Randy And The Time He Tried To Blah Blah Blah?" LOL!



"So you think that you're a failure, do you? Well, you probably are. What's wrong with that? In the first place, if you've any sense at all you must have learned by now that we pay just as dearly for our triumphs as we do for our defeats. Go ahead and fail. But fail with wit, fail with grace, fail with style. A mediocre failure is as insufferable as a mediocre success".~~Tom Robbins from his novel 'Even Cowgirls Get The Blues'

A wise man Tom Robbins.

A person that has never failed has never taken a risk. The greatest rewards come from the greatest risks. This is true for every aspect of your life, from your career to falling in love.

I have always been a risk taker. Of course taking risks may be a young persons game but even 100 year old fossils like me look forward to the challenge of a good risk. Even if that risk may mean a catastrophic failure.

I have picked myself up more times than I can count after being kicked in the teeth by one of my taken risks. But up I was with my jaw stuck out waiting for the next kick.

Failures are not things to be proud of but they should not be an embarrassment either. If one could tally failures versus successes I believe that failures would win in a landslide. No new advance or new idea comes without at least the prospect of failure attached to it. Thank God for those who do not fear failure as we would still be looking for fire or the wheel had then lived in fear of failure.

My thoughts on failure has been seasoned over the years. I think that is natural. I labor under a simple concept developed over a lifetime of failures. Get up everyday, look at what you want to accomplish with the new day, make a plan on YOUR terms and forge forward toward those goals and the thought of failure be damned.

At the end of the day; if you are ahead celebrate. If you have failed; celebrate. Because in taking that days risk, failure or not, you have learned something and if you learn anything from a failed experience; how can it have been a failure?

“The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”~~Buddha


Tom Robbins has some amazing quotes found withing the pages of his books. This is one of my favorites, even if it is a bit off color, "The only meat in the world sweeter, hotter, and pinker than Amanda's twat is Carolina barbecue." From his book 'Another Roadside Attraction'

The man is a freaking genius and Carolina barbecue is that good!!!!!

Love ya,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment