Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Quotable Bob Marley!!

I found this on FaceBook the the day. I found it interesting because it is Bob Marley's take on 'People who live in glass houses should not throw stones'.


I have always liked Bob Marley's music. The rhythm makes me happy and gets my feet moving. I will admit that more than a little marijuana was passed  around while we listened but even today, with my partying days behind me, I still have his music on CD's in my car. His rendition of 'Knocking On Heavens Door' is a particular favorite of mine

A little background on Mr Marley for those of you who have been living under rocks the past 30 years. 'Robert "Bob" Marley was lead singer and guitarist for the ska and reggae bands The Wailers and Bob Marley & The Wailers. Marley's music was highly influential, not only in the world of reggae which he largely defined, but also introducing the Rastafarian movement to a worldwide audience. Many of his songs featured the struggles of the powerless and the poor, as well as preaching Rastafarian themes such as brotherhood and peace for all mankind. His songs, including I Shot the Sheriff, No Woman, No Cry and Redemption Song, rocketed up the charts. Following his death in 1981, Marley's posthumously released album, Legend, became reggae's best-selling album of all time, selling 20 million copies worldwide.' He was 36 when he passed away but in those 36 short years he lived his life the way he wanted to and there greater tribute to a persons life than to be able to say they lived on their terms.

Why does it take a musician to see the light as to how we should treat one another? Why do our 'supposed religious leaders' and 'supposed bible wielding political leaders' want to divide us by race, religious beliefs, nationality or sexual orientation?

Interesting questions indeed. I am no saint and my closet is full of skeletons but I am proud to say that 'bigotry' in any form is not among them. I will admit to one prejudice and I will never apologize for it. I do not like 'stupid people'!! The word 'stupid' here does not refer to an educational level or any socioeconomic bracket or an particular race or ethnic origin. It refers to those people that lack basic common sense toward their lives and those lives that they come in contact.

Why am I different than anyone else. I was brought up Catholic; having a sense of quilt built into me that was based on superstition and tradition that I ran from as soon as I possible could. As soon as I was of an age to intelligently express my views my mouth started running and has not stopped since. I assure you that my thoughts landed me in hot water more than once.

Quotes like the two above, Mr Marley's and the Glass House quote, produce more questions than answers. I think the reason for that is that they require each of us to draw our own conclusions and formulate a lifestyle that we feel is right for us. They force us to evaluate how we treat others and what reactions we will champion when others treat us in a less than cordial manner.

When we are growing up we absorb all those influences laid upon us by everyone we come in contact. The problem is that many of us, even after reaching a point in our lives where we are able to formulate our own original ideas, rely in those formative years influences to form a basis for how we approach life.

I was so guilty of allowing my up bringing to influence my life choices. Actually it took me more than 40 years to finally see the errors in my thinking and adjust how I dealt with people and society as a whole. At that point in my life I moved from being 'one of the stupid people' to a free thinker who could deal with each person on an individual basis and not 'qroup people' into categories.

If we meet on the street; please meet and judge me for 'ME' not any preconceived stereotypical idea of what an Italian American, with a Catholic upbringing, brings to your mind.

Kiddies I am not that person anymore. You all are not the people you were just a few years ago. We evolve in mind and spirit every day . It is how we handle our 'personal growth' that will define us.

"Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!", Bob Marley

Love ya,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment