Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Apathy!!!~~~It Has Made Me Her Bitch Today!!

Apathy, in the form of a severe lack of motivation, is awash over me today. Maybe its the warm weather or my desire to sit at the park and read while my dog torments the local duck and geese population. She never catches any of them but does make a show of being 'a great hunter'.


On a day that started off so well; being this unmotivated is actually surprising. I flew out of bed this morning, rushed to make coffee and had my required 3 cups to kick start my ass, ate a little breakfast and then sat down at the computer to work on a short story that I am submitting to a contest next week. When I started too write the only word that came to mind was 'apathy'.

I was told recently that I can not be at my best every day and she was right. So instead of fighting this feeling of an apathetic fog over my head; I will give into it and see what the day brings.

So far I have walked the dog twice, she is starting to look at me with those 'leave me alone eyes', read at the park, stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up a prescription, no not for my apathy lol, and spent time chatting with some neighbors. Still awash in my apathetic state I sat down to make a plan for the rest of my day.

How foolish making a plan is when you are in an apathetic state. I am like an organization with no defined leader and a membership that believes everyone should lead. Sort of like Occupy Wall Street, lol.

So what is Apathy? The definition changes according to who the state is being applied. The dictionary definition is; 'an absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement or lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting'.

Well that does sort of define my present state. The only thing I am finding interesting today is 'apathy itself''.

I found this interesting. 'Christians have historically condemned apathy as a deficiency of love and devotion to  God and 'his works'; this interpretation of apathy is also referred to as Sloth and is listed among the Seven Deadly Sins'. SLOTH!! I love that word and always wondered what it meant. An aside; 'Are 'sloths' apathetic?' Maybe this is a subject for another day.


                   Come to think of it; this dude looks pretty apathetic!!

As far as a lack of love or devotion to God goes; there is no possible way my apathy could be caused by or related to God in any way. I am quite secure in my spirituality.

This brings me full circle to the 'whys' of my apathy today.

Putting a finger on this is quite difficult. I am happy with my life. Especially my life with Friendly. I have had a good good week planning with my children for the upcoming holidays. I am even considering putting up a Christmas tree for the first time in about 5 years.

It is probably a good time to throw in a few of my favorite quotes about apathy.

“The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.”~~Robert M. Hutchins


This is the most revealing comment on the future of our democracy that I have ever read. Right now, at this very moment, our democracy is under siege form every possible angle and we seem to be sitting back and watching it happen. I do not support 'Occupy Wall Street', as I feel that they are a bit misguided and naive, but at least they are doing something. I am not an avid 'Tea Party' supporter but at least they are doing something. The rest of us seem to be laying down for big government and business as usual.

HMMMMM!! I am starting to get some life back in me.

“That only a few, under any circumstances, protest against the injustice of long- established laws and customs, does not disprove the fact of the oppressions, while the satisfaction of the many, if real only proves their apathy and deeper degradation”~~Elizabeth Cady Stanton.


During the American Revolution not all the people living in the American Colonies supported the cause or took up arms against Britain. There were many willing to live under the 'crown' in an apathetic state for the sake of peace. Had the few followed the many into apathy toward injustice we would still be kissing the royals ass. There are a couple of royals that the prospect of 'kissing there ass' may well be a pleasant experience but I will take our democracy over that anytime.


Isn't it funny how I can start out with no point in mind and find somewhere productive to go with my thoughts.

Love ya,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment