Tuesday, July 12, 2011

If God Is Gender Neutral~~Then Why Do Religions Try And Make Women Second Class Citizens?

If God Is Gender Neutral~~Then Why Do Religions Try And Make Women Second Class Citizens?

I Know!! I Know!! I just opened up a very big can of worms and a shit storm is headed my way. But I am a big girl and I can take it.



In my opinion that question can be answered easily. BECAUSE WRITING AND THE INTERPRETATION OF BOOKS OF THE MAJOR RELIGIONS ARE AND HAVE BEEN CONTROLLED BY MEN!!!

'Christianity is a prime example of this. Not one book of the (accepted) Bible was written by a woman. None of the apostles were women. (Why wasn’t Mary of Magdalene considered to be an apostle?) Jesus of course was a man and he didn’t even marry. Why did God send a Son and not a Daughter? (Why did God become a man when He Himself has no gender?) The people who decided which books were in the Bible and who developed the doctrine of the Triune God were all men. Is this just an accident? Or was Christianity shaped to fit the viewpoints of the men who set themselves up as experts?' (From an article written in Femagination)

'Or take Islam. The Qur’an doesn’t say that women have to stay in the house, that they don’t belong in the mosques, that they can’t go anywhere without their husbands’ permission, that they must cover their faces, that they can’t go to school, and yet over the years scholars who were men added these restrictions based on the way they wanted society to be structured. Their reasons were political not spiritual. They saw society as a patriarchal system and they sought to keep it that way.' (From an article written in Femagination)

The bias in interpretation and origin in The Great Religious Books is obvious to me. "A God who is beyond sex/gender has no investment in favoring males or oppressing women.” So wrote Asma Barlas in her article “Islam and Feminism.” 'Barlas states at the beginning of the article that she doesn’t like to call herself a feminist and yet she made an observation that could revolutionize religion.'

There is much food for thought on this subject and only each person, both men and women, can decide for themselves what is right and just. I ask of my Sisters that they use the God Given Ability Of Free Choice And Open Thought to draw their own conclusions and proceed on those conclusions as they feel is correct.

You all know by know that I have developed my own beliefs about God and have my own way of worship based on those beliefs. Within each of us is a desire to believe, or not believe, in the existence of God and how we, withing ourselves, deal with that existence.

Always remember; God is on your side. God is not only Gender Neutral but will come into your life in a way that is individualized for you and you alone. God does not operate a Wal-Mart Of Worship where a single philosophy is sold over and over again for your consumption. I see God as a Mom And Pop Business where everyone is given Individual Attention.

As for my feelings about Male Dominated Religion; I leave you with a quote from on of my sisters at Heartless Bitches International.


"If a bunch of guys are calling me a Bitch, I know I must be hitting a nerve, if they start calling me a Heartless Bitch, I know I've got them running scared, but the best part is when they call me a Cold, Heartless Bitch (my brother's personal favorite), because they know I am someone they will never be able to subjugate." -- -HBI Member, Dana

Love ya,
Night

PS.....Websites to reference~~ http://www.asmabarlas.com/   and  http://www.femagination.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment