Sunday, May 8, 2011

"Mother's Day" Or "Mothers' Day"~~What A Change An Apostrophe Makes?

Growing up Mother's Day did not mean very much to me as I lost my Mom to cancer when I was four years old. But it is a day that has always held a fascination for me. My Dad, and I think he told me this to soften the blow of no celebration on a day everyone seemed to be celebrating, always told me it was  a 'greeting card company made up holiday'. I know now that this was not true. I think that he was trying to protect not only me but also himself.



Mother's Day or Mothers' Day, we will get to the difference in a moment, has been celebrated, in one form or another, since ancient times. In modern times it is celebrated in, by my count, 157 countries. The second Sunday in May seems to be the day most countries celibate this holiday but days of celebration are spread across the entire calender year.

Wikipedia has a list of countries and when they celebrate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day

Now as to this APOSTROPHE discussion. In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association. "She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world."

To quote my SL Partner Thinkie, "English Damn Language". An apostrophe is the difference between YOUR MOM having her own day or sharing it with everyone else's mother.

So today give you mother a hug and kiss. Make sure you call her if you can not make it home Or visit her final resting place like I do. HONOR her because she was/is the greatest resource in a young girls life and continues to be so when womanhood has arrived.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO MY MOM!!

HAPPY MOTHERS' TO YOURS!!

Love ya,'
Night

PS...Tomorrow Chapter 20 of Nights Dance To Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment