Saturday, April 16, 2011

Where Is The Outrage?? American Icon Threatened!!

The headline is just the tip of the iceberg.!!

FBI files show KFC founder received death threat

Who could possibly threaten this man? This human piece of Americana. This grandfatherly figure. The holder of the recipe containing those secret 11 herbs and spices!!!

I do not care that this threat occurred in December of 1973. I can only imagine the impact of the loss of such a man to our nation. A threat against the life of  Colonel Harland Sanders is akin to threats against the British Royalty or the Pope himself.

I must tell you I was more than shocked when I read this story. My emotions ran a full gamut from rage and fear to gastronomic upheaval. My mind was racing wildly.

I am sitting here thinking about a life without  Colonel Harland Sanders and I am amazed at how his loss would effect my life in particular. Even though I had never met the man in person.

Can you even imagine a world without KFC. If we had lost  Colonel Sanders that wonder secret recipe would possibly not be available to us today.

The following is an excerpt from a history of the secret recipe; found at the KFC Historical website.

For years, Colonel Harland Sanders carried the secret formula for his Kentucky Fried Chicken in his head and the spice mixture in his car. Today, the recipe is locked away in a safe in Louisville, Kentucky. Only a handful of people know that multi-million dollar recipe, and each is obligated to strict confidentiality by contract.

OMG!! In his car. I bet the Popeyes Chicken people are saying; 'Damn I never looked in the car!'


A  life without FRIED CHICKEN is a life lived very poorly. I know you Veggie Loving Californians disagree but eventually California will be shaken off of mainland USA and we can send all those veggies to starving children all over the world.

OK! I will get serious. The situation demands a serious concentration of my efforts. Yeah right like that's going to happen, lol!

A life without the Colonel:

1. All we would have is Popeyes, Bojangles, Chik-fil-A and a few other pretenders to the thrown. I have had less than stellar times at Popeyes and Bojangles, while it is good chicken, just does not do to for me. Chik-fil-A and those damn cow billboards turn me off.

2. The gasoline that would be wasted, if KFC was not available, searching for those Mom & Pop Chicken Restaurants that dot our highways; would push the demand for gasoline and its price beyond the reach of most Americans. By the way,,The Mom & Pops are the best but so hard to find near an interstate highway.

3. The development of the BUCKET, as a food transport vehicle, would have been years behind if KFC had not pioneered it on a mass basis.

4. Without KFC my Friday night meal selection would have been down to just pizza. Damned if I am cooking on a Friday!!

6. Where would I get a mock Chicken Cordon Bleu if KFC had not developed the Double Down.

7. Finally; I would not have this extra inch on my hips to keep me warm in winter therefore driving up my heating costs and forcing me to COOK ON FRIDAY NIGHTS AND NOT GO OUT TO EAT!!!!!
=======================================================================

I have had a little fun with this but threats against people that are in the public eye are a serious business. I am sure that these situations occur an a nearly daily basis. The crazies are out there and I hope none are ever successful in carrying out any threat.

Colonel Harland Sanders passed away in 1980 at the age of 90. KFC has some 15,000 restaurants in 109 countries. A tribute to a man who began life in such a simple way.


If you are ever in Corbin, KY stop by the Harland Sanders Cafe & Museum. It is where it all began.

Love ya,
Night

No comments:

Post a Comment