Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Robert A. Heinlein!! "Specialization is for insects"!!!!!!

The Big Three of Science Fiction writing,   Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke.  Look at their resumes on Wikkipedia and you will see a life time of achievements that astound me as a writer and amaze me as a reader.  If you have never read a book by Robert A. Heinlein; please drop your breakfast Pop Tart and run out and get one today. I would suggest  Stranger in a Strange Land. It is an amazing piece of literature that was at the forefront of the sexual revolution.

You can well imagine how surprised I was to find one of Mr. Heinlein's quotes in a Second Life profile. In fact I found three in one night.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert A. Heinlein 

"Specialization is for insects"!!!!!!  My God how profound! There really is no place, in a modern society like ours, for the one dimensional human beings. There is to much out there that needs to be mastered. To much that has to be sampled, tasted, touched, fondled, held to account, gazed upon and loved.

I am 33 years old and am on my third career; athlete, financial consultant and author. Every day something grabs me and says 'Look Here, Touch Here, Experience This'. I hope you all feel like this every day.

Being multi-dimensional makes you a more interesting human. Allows you to never have a dull moment or worse a moment with no purpose, no direction. Being multi-dimensional brings value to your life, improves it and by extension improves the lives that you are fortunate enough to touch.

Never be afraid to try new things, learn new things or meet new people. I can guarantee that if you are fearless in your acquisition of knowledge; you will never sit alone in any room listening to others talk. Instead, you will be the one talking and the others will be your listeners.

I have more on Mr. Heinlein tomorrow. Read him,,He is PRICELESS!!!

Keep those profile open!! I will get around to you soon,,LOL!!

Night

No comments:

Post a Comment