Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Member Of The 1% And Just Plain Stupid

I have always had a lot of empathy for anyone who serves tables at a restaurant. Even more now that my 17 year old daughter is waiting tables. It is a difficult job and many people make the lives of wait staff harder through unrealistic demands and down right stupid requests.

I once spent a lot of time with a woman who thought that wait staff were her personal whipping posts and misused them every time we went out to eat. Actually I stopped going to restaurants with her, and dating her,  after the fourth or fifth time we eat out as I could no longer put up with her behavior.

No meal came to her that was not returned to the kitchen without a complaint. Meals that had no problems were returned. It was not only embarrassing to me but disrespectful to people that were doing a very good job. It is my understanding that several restaurants have asked her not to return because of this behavior.

So when a story came across my desk about a mistreated waitress it perked my curiosity.


A waitress served lunch to two back executives without any hitches or problems. The food was well prepared and the service was excellent. As you can see from the above bill of fare $133.54 was spent on the meal.

As you review the check two things should be glaring out at you. First, the banker tipped $1.33 on a $133 check. ONE PERCENT!!

In a statement, posted at the blog Future Ex Banker, "A banker left a 1% tip in defiance of 'the 99%' at a Newport Beach restaurant the other week, according to his dining companion and underling who snapped a photo of the receipt". Future Ex Banker is the blog of this cretins lunch companion,

The blog further states, "Mention the “99%” in my boss’ presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1% badge of honor that he tips exactly 1% every time he feels the server doesn’t sufficiently bow down to his Holiness. Oh, and he always makes sure to include a “tip” of his own."

The "tip" of his own in this case was to tell the server to "get a real job." Read that again kiddies. This one percenter, who probably spent his morning foreclosing on someones house, not only under tipped but left an insult at the same time. The words 'what a pig' jumps into my mind.

I am not a supporter of the Occupy Movement for reasons I have stated before but I do have some sympathy for their core beliefs. I will also admit that I have leaned more toward the side of the 1 % on grounds that what a person earns, from the sweat of their labor, is theirs to use as they please.

I WAS WRONG!! I admit it now and in front of God and my readers.

While I still believe that what anyone earns is theirs to keep; I can no longer sit by and watch these self proclaimed 'American Royalty' abuse someone because they do not make a lot of money. It is a shame that the actions of a few wealthy stupid, bigoted and better than thou ground crawlers have to be the face of the 1 % but so be it. There are many wealthy Americans who would never indulge in this sort of behavior. Nor should anyone.

The blogger from Future Ex Banker explains how I feel perfectly, "I work in the corporate office of a major bank for a boss who represents everything wrong with the financial industry: blatant disregard and outright contempt for everyone and everything he deems beneath him. On top of that, he’s a complete and utter tool. At the same time, I’m still cashing paychecks, an admittedly willing—albeit reluctant—cog in the wheel of this increasingly ugly industry, so I’ve created this blog as a confessional of sorts. It won’t entirely clear my conscience, but hopefully it’ll help. I’m sure I’ll get fired eventually. Until then, enjoy."

I will follow this mans blog religiously and hopefully correspond with him on this topic.

To the credit of the restaurant that employees this waitress, True Food Kitchen, they are going to make this right for her. Many people that have responded to the blog want the restaurant to ban this customer. The manger has said that he would ban him but first he wants to have a chat with this idiot.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment