Monday, May 16, 2011

Phobias~~People Fear The Strangest Things!!!

I have always been fascinated by Phobias. I personally have only one and it has weighed heavy on me all my live. I have not found a phobia description that fits my feelings toward dying alone but a simple Google search tells me that many people have thought about it. Thanatophobia, the fear of dying,  is the closest I have come.

My fear of dying alone has little to do with not ever having a life mate. My fear is dying alone, in my house, and not being discovered for a month. I had a minister once, a wonderful man, who retired from his church and soon after his marriage fell apart. About two years later he passed away, in his home, of natural causes but he was not found for over a week. This is my fear. Sometimes I think that people settle on partners just because being alone produces situations that are less desirable than waiting for a person who GETS YOU.

Being alone has its advantages and I embrace them all. I am not a person to settle. My housekeeper is a wonderful woman and close friend but I could manage without her. But having her come to the house every morning is comforting. OH! BTW! I am not dying, lol. But knowing that I have someone to check up on me everyday is a comfort.

Some Phobias I find interesting and a little funny.



Alektorophobia- Fear of chickens~~Most people, who are suffering from this weird kind of fear, start to sweat when around chickens. They feel a constant tickle of worry that the chicken might become aggressive or conspiratorial and attack them and contaminate their body with infection on their body. The actual fear lies in the fact that the person may think that the chicken may peck him at any time or swoop upon to cause unnecessary fear.


Alliumphobia- Fear of garlic~~Apparently people with alliumphobia get severe panic attacks or anxiety when in close proximity to garlic. A person with alliumphobia must have quite a rough time because almost everything we eat in contains some form of garlic!


Bibliophobia- Fear of books~~Some of us think we have it when we try to do our homework. The symptoms of this phobia include breathlessness, dizziness, dry mouth, excessive sweating, nausea, feeling sick, heart palpitations, inability to speak of think clearly, a fear of dying, becoming mad or losing control, a sensation of detachment from reality of a full blown anxiety attack. Bibliophobia can cause disruptions at work, school, and in social relations.

Others Include:

Anthrophobia or Anthophobia- Fear of flowers
Chrometophobia or Chrematophobia- Fear of money
Cyberphobia- Fear of computers or working on a computer
Samhainophobia- Fear of Halloween
Ephebiphobia- Fear of youth
Samhainophobia- Fear of Halloween
Eurotophobia- Fear of female genitalia

I find the human psyche one of the most interesting subjects one can endeavor to study. We place ourselves, both consciously and subconsciously, into amazing and sometimes complicated positions. I believe that our ability, and I call is an ability because it is a behavior that our species seems to have perfected, to suffer or produce these phobias are one of the things that make us a higher functioning species.

With the continued understanding of our own brain development and our continued evolution toward being able to tap into more and more brain functions; will come even more strange and bizarre thought offshoots of the phobia phenomenon.

Love ya,
Night

No comments:

Post a Comment