Sunday, April 24, 2011

Edible Excretions & Food Trends~~An Easter Story!!

Before I start today I want to apologize for not including Chapter 18 of Nights Dance To Day in today's blog. I found myself in less than comfortable with what I had written and decided to withhold the chapter until tomorrow. I promise it will be here bright and early tomorrow morning.

That said; Happy Easter and here we go.

My housekeeper has been with me for 12 years and I am grateful every day for having her with me. She brings stability to my otherwise unstable and out of control life. In truth; Mette is much more than a housekeeper. She is family. She acts as my housekeeper, cook, mother, father, friend, confidant and spiritual advisor. I am Godmother to two of her four children. On most days she is the first person I see and the last one I speak to at night. Yes much more than a housekeeper.

Last year, for her birthday, I had computers put in her house; for the children and one for her own use. Now she is an avid Internet reader and is always bringing me interesting bits of information. Today's blog was brought to me by her and it is perfect. Perfect because she is an amazing cook and this blog is about food.

"There's poop everywhere! Y-u-c-k," says 6-year-old Jordan Lien as he and his family dine at the Modern Toilet, a popular Taiwanese restaurant chain that's expanding into China and other parts of Asia. The boy was looking at the poop-shaped lights and dish covers and the curry on toilet-shaped plates.~~From time.com
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1882569,00.html#ixzz1KRAPdDf8


Please read the entire article as it is quite interesting. This is a food trend that may well be shocking but engrossing our senses in new and interesting situations is something we should look forward too. The food critics have given a Big Thumbs Up to the fare at the restaurant Modern Toilet. I would love to try this restaurant but unfortunately it is in Taiwan. If it ever open in the USA I will be waiting in line to get in and give it a try.

Also at Time.com you will find a companion article titled 'The Top Ten Everything Of 2008'. One of the top ten lists is the Top Ten Food Trends and I found them interesting.

They are:

1. Recession dining~~A trend that leans toward good quality food, at upscale establishments, for affordable prices.

2. Nanny-state food regulations~~States like New York, but not limited to New York, are passing laws that are meant to guide us in food choices but in some cases may go to far. But this is a subject that deserves its own blog day.

3. Salmonella Saintpaul~~New food problems that alter our way of eating, In this case an infestation from this little critter changed the way many imported fresh produce is inspected.

4. The war on bottled water~~it turns out that in most cases bottled water is no better than tap water and is much less environmentally friendly. Many restaurants have stopped selling bottled water.

5. The Clover coffee maker~~The CEO of Starbucks says that this coffee maker produces the best cop of coffee brewed any where. By The Way~~Starbucks does not use these as the brew only one cup of coffee at a time and cost $11,000 per machine. If you want to give this coffee a try, and you are in New York City, try the two locations of Cafe Grumpy.

6. Caffeinated foods~~We all have seen an increase of heavily caffeinated food products over the past few years.

7.  Goat~~Goat meat has become very popular, especially in some of the new immigrant communities, but is has been slowly sneaking into the everyday American diet. Self serving plug here, lol,. I own a farm that produces goat milk, cheese and meat. Give it a try. You will be pleasantly surprised.

8. The backlash against local food~~After being told for years to eat locally; it is being discovered that locally grown products may not be as environmentally friendly as thought because of the local farmers transport issues. I find this one I do not particularly agree with and I do make use of local produce when ever it is available.

9. The year's most celebrated chef for 2008~~Chef Grant Achatz, lost his sense of taste to tongue cancer but has overcome that and is an amazing chef at Alinea in Chicago. Alinea is a dining experience that your palate will be thanking you forever after the dining there.

10.  Mex-Italian~~Italian food is the most popular restaurant food in the USA and many of the new Chefs are from a Latino background. They are fusing these two cooking styles and all I can say is YUMMY!!

This makes 3 days in a row of food related blogs. Now kiddies go out and enjoy a good meal!!!!


                                    Why is there always a cat in my food.


Love ya,
Night

No comments:

Post a Comment