Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Search For Tom & Jerry And The Possible Loss Of My Beloved Frosted Flakes

Last Saturday morning I was sitting in a hotel room waiting, as men often do, for a woman to get ready to go out. It was early so I decided to slip back to my childhood with a little cartoon watching. That didn't happen!! I could not find a cartoon that I recognized anywhere on television.

My search finally took me to The Cartoon Network that showed 'ONE HOUR' of  Looney Toons followed by things I had never seen or heard of before.


Where are the hiding Tom & Jerry? Where is Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd? For that matter where are The Three Stooges and The Dead End Kids? These things that I grew up watching are disappearing from the television landscape to be replaced by robots, Pokemon and something called Teen Titans.

On the heels of this revelation comes a story about the possible loss of cereal from our lives. Cereal is being replaced by yogurt and fast food breakfast sandwiches. Will this madness never end?

 

I need my Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran!!! Along with the loss of our favorite cartoon characters we may see The Trix Rabbit, Count Chocula, Tony The Tiger, Lucky the Lucky Charms Leprechaun , Cap'n Crunch and Snap, Crackle, and Pop disappear from our lives.

As a child, Saturday mornings were a time for a big bowl of cereal while watching the Road Runner kick Wylie Coyote's ass or Bugs Bunny put that befuddled look on Elmer Fudd's face. It was a time when The Little Rascals put on that 'show to beat all shows' and Alfalfa would fall in love every week.

It was on Saturday mornings that The Dead End Kids made living in NYC interesting and Andy Devine showed us Tarzan and Sabu movies to the catch phrase "plunk your magic twanger Froggy".

Being a kid in the 50's was a fun time.

“I’d like to be a kid again but only because naps were insisted, twirling in circles was acceptable, and the only password I had to remember was open sesame.” – Adar Burks

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment